It has been quite a year, this 2016 year, to say the least. In my immediate family there has been a death, a wedding, a graduation, a new school, a new business venture, a thriving business and a cancer diagnosis. And in between these life-changing events, there has been food shopping, laundry, mild sicknesses, extreme joy, little pleasures, deadlines, bills to pay, birthday celebrations, gratifying service and brainless work. That is life. But is it random? Oh, NO! I do not believe that it is random at all. I believe there is a time and season for everything and each day is a gift AND I am the creator of my reality.
During these last few hours of 2016, I cannot help but reflect on what I have co-created during this year. Here are my REFLECTIONS: I have loved. I have laughed, loudly. I have lost. I have cried, a lot. I have feared. I have been righteous, especially in November. I have hated. I have grieved. I have loved. I have practiced mindfulness. I have practiced gratitude. I have forgotten to practice mindfulness. I have forgotten to practice gratitude. I walked a long aisle in a huge cathedral and graduated. I watched my father take his last breath. I wept. I witnessed my son and his lovely wife take their vows in the majesty of the mountains. I wept. I have waited outside recovery rooms and prayed. I voted. I watched our next President get elected. I wept. I have listened to others’ suffering with compassion. I have been sick. I spent too many hours on Facebook. I have been joyous. I have judged. I have worked on not judging. I have lost my temper. I belonged to a gym and did not go. I have served others. I sat in the ICU next to my daughter hoping breathing would not be so difficult. I have started a new business. I wrote a book. I have loved. I have created and co-created.
What is it that I want to create in 2017? Here are my 17 INTENTIONS for 2017:
- Love always–see everyone as the divine beings they are.
- Laugh daily—loudly and belly-aching.
- Create a Mindful and Compassionate Community of People–starting with parents!
- Sit every day on a cushion paying attention to inhaling and exhaling.
- Go to the gym three times a week.
- Be humble….remembering I am no better and no less than anyone else.
- Practice self-compassion.
- Continue to eliminate “things” from my life.
- Publish my book.
- Cook more often (4 times per week.)
- Volunteer at least monthly.
- Go on daily mindful walks with my pup.
- Grow a vegetable garden this summer.
- Write in my gratitude journal daily.
- Go away on a sisters’ and mom weekend.
- Stay in the precious present moment.
When I keep the focus on what I can do to create the life I want and do not focus on external circumstances that are not within my control, I am filled with hope for the New Year. My mantra that keeps me going when I am filled with fear is “The Universe is always conspiring for my benefit”. No matter what happens, I keep the faith. Expect miracles…..you never know! Happy New Year! xoxo