This is my first post in 2015 and I figured I would get it in at the 11th hour, typical of my life’s patterns. That is something I am looking at, that pattern of the last minute, the 11th hour, but I will look at it later….I have other things to do right now, like write my thoughts down for 2016.
Christmas is always a time for me to look at the past year and think about life, think about the people who are no longer in our life. Christmas Eve was spent with all 4 of my children and some of my favorite people in the world. I cherished each moment at the table, watching my sons banter about what order to watch the first 6 Star Wars movies. As I sat there adoring the faces of my children, I thought of my husband’s old friend who lost a son this year. I thought of her and her pain this Christmas missing the face of her son. Life is precious. We know it but we walk around forgetting it all the time. We are busy with our to-do lists and stressed to find the perfect gift; we forget the loaf of Italian bread that we wanted to serve with dinner, we are annoyed that the manicure we spent an hour out of our busy day was ruined while we were making meatballs. We worry that we hadn’t bought enough for everyone. Really? But then I notice the negative emotion and I take a breath, and I re-focus. That is what it is all about….FOCUS. What am I focusing on? The good? The bad? The beautiful or the ugly? The blessings or the challenges? It is our choice….always. That is where our power is….in that choice. Let me not forget this simple fact.
Christmas day at my sisters’ house was a blessed day spent with all my siblings and my parents. (When I say that I am blessed, it is not because it is all Norman Rockwell worthy! We have our moments that are ugly. I just don’t post them on Facebook or write about them in my blog. But, it goes without saying. All families have their blemishes and mine is no different. But I have learned to take the good with the bad and embrace it all.) However, I am keenly aware how blessed I am to have reached this age with my family totally intact. I have high hopes that I, too, will live to see grandchildren and possibly great- grandchildren, like my parents have. But, tomorrow is not promised to me. So, there are some things I want to say just in case. I truly believe that our life force is fueled by desires. I have some strong desires but try to live without strong expectations. That is where the balancing act comes in. I manage that balancing act by my faith that the Universe is always conspiring for my benefit. So that no matter what happens, and however blind I may be to the possible benefits an event could have, I manage to trust that the Universe (or God) knows better than me and that this event will serve my highest good and the evolution of humankind as a whole. For example, my youngest daughter recently went through something that rocked her world somewhat. I was in pain because she was in pain. However, since I believe that the Universe is always conspiring for our benefit, I trusted that what my daughter was going through, that one day we would look back at this circumstance and be grateful for it. So, I decided after meditating this morning, why not be grateful for it now. Why wait to understand it? This thought was my main inspiration for my intentions for the New Year……
My top five Intentions for 2016:
- Be Grateful for everything! I intend to trust the Universe with everything that comes my way. The gratitude may not be immediate. Let’s face it, I am human…..but gratitude is the goal. When we appreciate, we stay in the vibration that allows the manifestation of all our desires.
- Practice Kindness! Yes, like the Dalai Lama, Kindness is my religion. It is not easy to practice this 100% of the time but when I keep it at the forefront of my mind daily, it is easier. It is a habit, like any other and with practice, gets easier and easier. One method that keeps me on the right track is the practice of Loving-kindness meditation which I do regularly. I have learned that it is better to be kind than to be right. (And I love being right!) I am sharing a link to the meditation that helps me be kinder, in case anyone is interested the link to the meditation is on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/WellBeingLifeCoach/
- Practice Mindfulness each day and all day long! I have become a Mindfulness practitioner. Mindfulness, according to one definition by Jon Kabat-Zinn, “It’s about living your life as if it really mattered, moment by moment by moment by moment.” I used to live my life pondering the past with regret or worrying about the future with anxiety. I can still go to those two places, but mindfulness directs me back to paying attention to the here and now and noticing that without judgment. It is the game-changer. It is the stress-buster. It is my life’s work.
- Look at the world through the filter of LOVE! I can see any situation through one of 2 filters, the LOVE filter or the FEAR filter. I was conditioned to look through the fear filter which tells us that there are only so many pieces of the pie, that you can’t trust people, and that money doesn’t grow on trees. I was raised by Murphy’s Law: “Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.” Now I am a practitioner of a different Law, the Law of Attraction which basically says “I am the Creator of my own reality.” and “The more I love, the more love is returned to me.” If you are feeling unloved, start choosing the LOVE filter and start with yourself. You can’t give what you don’t have. My goal is that each and every person I encounter will feel the LOVE. That is what I want to be remembered for on this earth. That will be enough.
- STOP! Whenever a negative emotion has me in its grip, I intend to practice the mini-meditation of STOP: Stop, Take a breath, or two or three, Observe what is going on in my thoughts and in the present moment, and Proceed. Proceed with the above four intentions: gratitude, kindness, mindfulness and LOVE. There will be multiple opportunities each and every day for the rest of my life to practice this mini-meditation called STOP! This is the pause button when the Panic button is activated. This is where our power is….the power to pause and choose something other than our default mode which is driven by FEAR.
I am wishing each and every one of you a healthy, happy new year! May your desires be fueled with belief that the outcome will always be in your favor. May you be happy, joyous and free! May there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me!
What are your intentions, dreams and goals for 2016? Please share with us in the comment section below.